Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Learning to Unlearn

I spent a long time picking through "Unlearn" related images, and now the word "learn" looks really weird to me. Anyway, Since I hope to teach a very differentiated classroom one day, unlearning my own personal learning style is going to be a priority for me. It's going to be important that I understand where my students are coming from with their own learning styles, and being able to cater to that in a way that maximizes the effectiveness of my teaching. I best learn a task by watching someone else do it first, and then trying it myself. I'll watch the other person do it until I have memorized what I need to do (monkey see, monkey do?). Not everyone learns like that. Some do best reading instruction from a book, or in groups. I'm going to have to understand different learning perspectives so I can make myself the best teacher I can be.

Another thing I will have to be mindful of is following my role models. I have had some amazing teachers, and I remember some of my favorite assignments from them, or the way they taught that made me immediately understand the concept. I will be tempted to try to apply their methods in my own classroom. While there isn't necessarily anything wrong with doing that while I figure out my own teaching style, I will have to keep in mind that just because they were my favorite teacher, doesn't mean their lesson plan or methods worked as well for my peers. Contrarily, the teachers who I disliked were other student's favorites. Ultimately, I just have to remember that everyone is different, and try to work with that in the best way that I can.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you pull all of this into a personal point of view and how to be able to teach effectively to your students you will have to unlearn your own personal learning style to be able to be the best teacher you can and why some of the teachers you didn't like were because you learn differently. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments! I especially liked how you talked about you past teachers and how they were good role models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post! I liked that you did bring in your old teachers and how they impacted you. And you are right when saying that your peers may not have the same view. But with everyone their learning styles are different and that is something that we the teachers will have master in teaching them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the opening to your post it shows your personality! For the rest, the first comment that you made about how it is going to be priority for you to unlearn your learning style is something that I can relate to. I like how you relate what you are learning now to your own experiences in life I think that is really important! Good Job!!

    ReplyDelete